Dayanita Singh’s art uses photography to reflect and expand on the ways in which we relate to photographic images. Her recent work, drawn from her extensive photographic oeuvre, is a series of mobile museums that allow her images to be endlessly edited, sequenced, archived and displayed. Stemming from Singh’s interest in the archive, the museums present her photographs as interconnected bodies of work that are replete with both poetic and narrative possibilities.
Publishing is also a significant part of the artist’s practice: in her books, often made in collaboration with Gerhard Steidl, she experiments with alternate forms of producing and viewing photographs. Here, Singh’s latest is the “book-object,” a work that is concurrently a book, an art object, an exhibition and a catalogue. This work, also developing from the artist’s interest in the poetic and narrative possibility of sequence and re-sequence, allows Singh to both create photographic sequence and also simultaneously disrupt it.
Museum Bhavan has been shown at the Hayward Gallery, London (2013), the Museum für Moderne Kunst, Frankfurt (2014), the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago (2014) and the Kiran Nadar Museum of Art, New Delhi (2016). Singh has also authored eleven books: Zakir Hussain (1986), Myself, Mona Ahmed (2001), Privacy (2003), Chairs (2005), Go Away Closer (2007), Sent A Letter (2008), Blue Book (2009), Dream Villa (2010), House of Love (2011), File Room (2013), and Museum of Chance (2014). Her twelfth book, Museum Bhavan, also published with Steidl, is forthcoming in Fall 2016.
- 2016 Suitcase Museum and Kitchen Museum at the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia for the 20th Biennale of Sydney
- 2016 Museum of Chance Book Object, a solo project at the Dhaka Art Summit, Bangladesh
- 2016 Museum of Chance Book Object, a solo exhibition at the Hawa Mahal, Jaipur
- 2015-16 Conversation Chambers Museum Bhavan, a solo exhibition at Kiran Nadar Museum of Art, New Delhi
- 2014 Go Away Closer a solo exhibition at Museum Für Moderne Kunst, Frankfurt
- 2014 Dayanita Singh a solo exhibition at the Art Institute, Chicago
- 2013 Go Away Closer a solo exhibition at The Hayward Gallery
- 2013 Venice Biennale a group exhibition in the German Pavilion, Venice
- 2012 File Museum a solo exhibition at Frith Street Gallery
- 2012 Monuments of Knowledge, a solo exhibition at King’s India Institute, KCL, London
- 2012 a solo exhibition at Nature Morte, New Delhi
- 2011 a group exhibition at the 54th Venice Biennale
- 2010 a touring solo exhibition at Museum voor Fotografie, Amsterdam; Mapfre Foundation, Madrid
- 2009 Indian Highway, a touring group exhibition at Serpentine Gallery, London; Astrup Museum, Oslo
- 2008 Dream Villa, a solo exhibition at Frith Street Gallery
- 2005 Chairs, a solo exhibition at Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston
- 2003 Privacy, a solo exhibition at Hamburger Bahnhof Museum for Contemporary Art, Berlin
- 2003 Homelessness, a group exhibition at Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich
Texts on Dayanita SinghZUM-Adventures-of-a-Photographer-low-res